Friday, February 22, 2008

Feline Fine.


This feels good. I've missed this, writing about beer. I used to do this a lot at one time and although there is no real excuse needed to sink a pint or three, there is none better if pushed than to say you're conducting research. Investigative reporting, eh? Eat your heart out, John Pilger. Onward...

Peculiar. I lived in Cheshire for over five years until fairly recently (and hope to return) yet, despite their ubiquity, I can barely remember ever going into a Robinson's house. I'm not sure why, I even briefly worked with someone who lived in one yet was never compelled to visit and say hello (probably because we were working an evil nightshift in a toilet factory and it wasn't good form loosening up before you went to work). Anyway, I wish I'd bothered, I've missed something rather lovely.

The irony is, it took a chance discovery in Ashford's Asda, over 250 miles from Robinson's home in Stockport, before I realised what I was missing out on and I doubt there are many Men of Kent even aware of Robinson's, let alone Old Tom. If you're a CAMRA member (I'm not) you'll probably have heard of it as it's a serial award winner and only last month won gold in the barley wine category and silver overall at their National Winter Ales Festival in Manchester. There's a tiny little synchronicity though with my Kent connection; Robinson's is a venerable old brewery (Old Tom's been around since 1899. Apparently the name refers to the brewery cat) and Kent has its own one in Shepherd Neame (the oldest brewer in the country) and Shepherd Neame brew some of Asda's own beers (and very good they are too). I'm not a huge fan of Asda generally but their beer buyer sounds like someone who takes their job very seriously. I'd do it.

A warning. When you buy it off the shelf Old Tom comes in very small bottles because, as befits a barley wine, it is very strong. 8.5% ABV strong which is over half the strength of wine. But because it doesn't really taste particularly strong don't let yourself be fooled. Have too much of it and gravity will whip your sorry behind should you choose to have a scrap with it.


The thing about heavy beers such as porters, stouts and winter warmers is that despite their sweet richness they often leave a slightly sour aftertaste behind each mouthful. Despite some reviewers claiming a lingering aftertaste, I've found that I just don't get that with Old Tom. It's undeniably sweet, like treacle or molasses but it's incredibly balanced. The hoppy bitterness fades almost immediately leaving just the fruity top notes and that just begs another sip. And I think that's the key to enjoying it as well - don't take hefty draughts, sip and savour it. Take deep gulps and the experience will probably be totally different. Leave it for a bit and come back after 10 minutes and it'll still be just as good. In the glass it's a dark, very slightly rusty chocolate colour and pours with a light coffee coloured head that quickly fades, so no lacing.

I must admit that this has very quickly become a definite favourite. I had a bottle earlier on with some cheese and it's got to be one of the best cheese beers going - it's fantastic after a mouthful of blue stilton. I should be back in Cheshire for good fairly soon. Can't wait.

4 comments:

Carmenzta said...

Richard, I don't drink beer so I'm out of the discussion on your post. But I so loved your comment on drinking beer to taste it rather than the other thing, that I'll read your posts on here just to check if you have another brilliant statement! Now, if you had a blog on margaritas or mojitos, I would be there.

Sharon J said...

The Dusty Miller in Wrenbury's a Robinson's pub. That'd make a nice afternoon out during summer. Walk along the canal and then relax in the beer garden and watch the boaters struggle with the bridge :)

Richard said...

OK, you're on.

Sharon J said...

Thought you might say that :)